Free 2018 Annual Meeting Session Recordings, Membership Renewal Season, Mentorship Program Accepting Applications, Lab Week 2019 Highlights, New Connect Community Mobile App, and more!
Thank You Gift
To recognize your support for ASCLS and the profession through your membership, the Society has made made four popular 2018 ASCLS Annual Meeting session recordings free to ASCLS members:
- Clinical Laboratorian Consultation Improving Diagnosis and Reducing CostClinical Laboratorian Consultation Improving Diagnosis and Reducing Cost
- Lab 2.0 The Future of Clinical Laboratory Services
- The Demand for Blood and the Challenge to Manage It A Conundrum
- Insert Lab Values Here: Meeting the Needs of Transgender Patients in the Clinical Laboratory
These recordings are P.A.C.E.® accredited; click on the links above for more details.
ASCLS has already begun the 2019-20 dues renewal season. Thank you to the more than 560 members who renewed early, saving the Society significant funds that would have been spent on paper mailings.
We gave those members the chance to direct a portion of the savings back into the programs they are most passionate about. More than $1,100 will be redistributed to the following programs:
- Where Funds Are Needed Most – 39%
- Bernadette Rodak Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship – 26%
- Education & Research Fund, Inc., Research Grants – 11%
- Legislative Symposium Travel Grants for Developing Professionals – 9%
- Diversity Advocacy Council Scholarship – 8%
- Special Projects – 5%
- Cynthia L. Breen Memorial Scholarship – 2%
For those of you who have not yet renewed, paper notices will arrive by mail in early June. Renew your membership by July 31 to ensure access to your membership benefits and to maintain your continued membership status. Thank you for your support of ASCLS and the profession.
Applications Now Accepted for 2019-20 Mentors and Mentees
The ASCLS Mentorship Program was created to foster a feeling of belonging and value as a member of the ASCLS community. Students, new professionals, and new members will develop meaningful relationships with mentors to promote personal and professional growth within ASCLS and beyond.
Mentors and mentees are paired up one-on-one and are free to discuss any goals or challenges the mentee wishes to work toward. In addition, supplemental ASCLS information is provided to the pairs to further enhance discussion. The formal program spans one year; after the program the pairs are encouraged to remain in contact. Apply by July 15.
Medical Laboratory Professionals Week
Lab Week 2019 Highlights
More than 1,400 people participated in the 2019 ASCLS Lab Week Run and raised $17,000 for ASCLS Developing and Ascending Professionals scholarships and travel grants. Thank you to everyone who participated and shared your photos and race times. Congratulations!
ASCLS members in Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Texas, and Wisconsin had governors or mayors sign proclamations that April 21-27 is Medical Laboratory Professionals Week. ASCLS members also published articles, moderated Twitter chats, hosted podcasts, and won awards as part of Lab Week celebrations. Many of you helped to shine a spotlight on the vital role that clinical laboratory professionals play in healthcare. Thank you for sharing your stories with colleagues, friends, family, and the general public!
ASCLS Connect in the Palm of Your Hand
Download a New App to Access the Connect Community on Your Mobile Device
- Convenient. The app keeps you logged in, making the entire Connect Community (and all its functions) just an icon away.
- Accessible. Look up other members in the directory, send and respond to messages, and monitor community discussions in real time.
To download the app:
- Go to the Google Play store or the Apple App Store and download the MemberCentric app.
- Search for ASCLS when prompted to “Find your organization.”
- Log in using your credentials for your ASCLS member account.
Laboratory Educator Institute
New Molecular Microbiology Primer for Medical Laboratory Educators
Significant advancements in technology, especially in the field of clinical microbiology, can make it challenging for educators to know what to include in their curriculum. This webinar recording provides a guide for the transition of teaching traditional microbiology to the current and future states, as well as tools for implementing this content into lectures and course activities. The recorded webinar is a follow up to The Renovation of Microbiology session from CLEC 2019.
This recorded webinar is P.A.C.E.® accredited. Learn more.
Developing Professionals Forum Fundraiser
Support Medical Laboratory Students—Order Your T-shirt Today
The ASCLS Developing Professionals Forum is conducting its annual fundraiser to help fund travel grants for student members. The design was brought back by popular demand, and t-shirts can be shipped to your house or picked up at the ASCLS-AGT 2019 Joint Annual Meeting in Charlotte next month. Order yours by June 2.
ASCLS Voices Under 40
Spotlight: Pankaj Kumar Sethi, DVM, MS, PhD, CC(NRCC), MB(ASCP), from Statham, Georgia
Pankaj is the director of toxicology and genetics for Ammon Analytical Laboratory. He is responsible for working with laboratory administration on planning, organizing, and directing laboratory operations and ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations. Daily, he rounds in the laboratory to judge effectiveness of operations, utilization of personnel and supplies, and the general ethical and professional environment. Pankaj is also responsible for several other administrative tasks such as budget, competency, performance, policies and procedures, as well as making recommendations on new equipment. Another area that Pankaj is involved in is helping to develop new analytical methods in the areas of addiction drug testing, toxicology, and clinical diagnostics. He also helps addiction counselors and physicians on test selection and test interpretation.
Pankaj joined ASCLS in 2017 and has been actively involved ever since. He is currently serving as a member of the national Awards Committee, an interested observer for the national Leadership Academy, and the Scientific Assembly Chair for Education in Georgia. Prior to joining ASCLS, Pankaj was involved with the Society of Toxicology, American Association of Clinical Chemistry, and American Society of Clinical Pathology. Read more.
ASCLS Voices Under 40 honors ASCLS members who have shown exceptional commitment to the Society, the laboratory profession, and their community at large at a younger age in their professional career. Each month we spotlight one of the shining voices who were selected from many nominations across the country.
Three Weeks Left to Register Online for the 2019 Joint Annual Meeting
The ASCLS-AGT 2019 Joint Annual Meeting brings nationally-renowned speakers to the podium to highlight issues of importance to all clinical laboratorians.
The Opening Keynote will discuss how laboratory professionals can drive healthcare innovations with Clinical Lab 2.0.
The Closing Keynote will show you how to be a happier person and more productive employee.
Nearly 70 educational sessions will present a wide range of topics to assist in continued professional development. View the full program.
Get to know the Queen City. From culinary institutes to an abundance of craft beer to the NASCAR Hall of Fame to world-class public art, Charlotte has something for everyone. Attendees staying through Wednesday night can sign up for a Charlotte Knights Baseball Game by June 16. Please note: this event is the same time as the Alpha Mu Tau dinner.
The Joint Annual Meeting will be held June 23-27 in Charlotte, North Carolina, at the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel and Le Mèridien Charlotte. Save $50 off onsite registration and register by June 7.
Spring Meetings Continue
Make plans to join ASCLS members in your region for Lab CE and lots of fun.
ASCLS AZ/NV Spring Symposium
ASCLS-NY Spring Seminar
Syracuse, New York
Add your upcoming events to the ASCLS Events Calendar:
- Visit http://connect.ascls.org/home.
- Sign in.
- Navigate to your state society’s community.
- Click on the Events Tab.
- Click on the green Add Event button in the upper right.
Connect: The Community Conversations
Check out the recent discussion threads on ASCLS Connect and join the conversations:
- In the Open Forum members have been sharing great microbiology educational resources.
- Also in the Open Forum, members provided resources for people interested in learning about becoming a Biomedical Laboratory Officer in the Air Force.
- In the Laboratory Administration/Consultant/Quality/Accreditation/Industry Scientific Assembly, members are consulting on BOC requirements and validation of new hires.
- The DCLS Student Community members are discussing what has been the most challenging aspect of their training so far.
- The Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality Community makes frequent blog posts with helpful resources and information.
2019 Joint Annual Meeting Regular Registration Deadline
2019-20 Mentorship Program Application Deadline
2019-20 ASCLS Membership Renewal Deadline