Achieve teaching and academic excellence with the ASCLS Laboratory Educator Institute. This online institute assists with professional development in critical areas that include education/teaching, administration/leadership, clinical practice, and research. Developed by ASCLS education experts, the courses within this institute will:
- Provide educators with skills and knowledge to effectively develop and implement courses and provide assessments.
- Develop more effective laboratory science educators and program administrators.
ASCLS is an approved provider of continuing education by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® program. P.A.C.E. is accepted by the Board of Certification (BOC) Credential Maintenance Program and all licensing states, including California and Florida.
Full program information including course descriptions, level of instruction, objectives, and speaker bios can be found at Laboratory Educators Institute
Do you have expertise to contribute to the online Laboratory Educator Institute? Submit a proposal today!
The Body of Knowledge encompasses the essential knowledge base for what is recognized and practiced in the profession, thus these publications define the identity of clinical laboratory professionals (phlebotomy, MLT, MLS) in their relationships to other health professionals, to patients, and to the public. Copies can be purchased via the ASCLS Store. Purchase Your Copy
The Entry Level Curriculum (ELC) was created by laboratory educators and practitioners using the Body of Knowledge, which is also published by ASCLS. The MLS and MLT entry-level curricula are defined as the knowledge and skills expected of a new graduate upon successful completion of a formal educational program. It assumes no work experience other than that required as part of a clinical education affiliated with the program. The curriculum format is delineated by discipline area within the MLS and MLT levels. Each discipline area is further delineated by major topics with learning objectives and taxonomic levels. Purchase your copy via the ASCLS Store. Purchase Your Copy
Clinical Laboratory Education, by Susan J. Beck, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CM, and Vicky A. LeGrys, DA, MT(ASCP), helps prepare clinical laboratory students or professionals for a wide variety of teaching roles. It is a valuable resource for students and educators. Purchase your copy via the ASCLS Store. Purchase Your Copy
- CLEC: The Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference is the most important annual event for faculty, administrators, directors, advisers, and others in clinical laboratory science education. Whether your goal is to identify trends and strategies, manage change, enhance instructional skills, or develop innovative teaching techniques, CLEC is the place to be.
- CLEF: The Clinical Laboratory Educators Forum (CLEF) ) is a group of ASCLS members with a common interest in laboratory education. Any ASCLS member can belong to the ESA. This group communicates via the ASCLS Education Online Community. The online community has additional resources available for educators, including the Simulated Specimen Workbook.
- Labucate: The ASCLS learning management system includes a variety of courses and session recordings available for purchase.
- Educational Session Recordings: Need additional content for your courses? Or is there a session that you want your colleagues to view? Recordings from ASCLS Meetings (including Joint Annual Meeting and Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference) and the ASCLS monthly Webinars are available for group purchases or licensing at a discounted rate. Email email@example.com for details.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA): The ASCLS Developing Professionals and Ascending Professionals Forums host AMA focused on Career Advice for Students and New Professionals on YouTube.
- Online Academic Programs: The Clinical Laboratory Educators Forum (CLEF) of ASCLS maintains directories for prospective students who are considering online programs at the associate, bachelor or graduate level.
- DCLS: The Doctorate of Clinical Laboratory Science (DCLS) is an advanced professional doctorate designed for practicing CLSs who wish to further their level of clinical expertise and to develop leadership and management skills. The “DCLS Tool Kit” provides information that will assist educators who are in the process of considering and/or planning a DCLS degree program at their institution. The information presented consists of documents developed by the DCLS Oversight Committee and vetted by ASCLS and/or NAACLS, as well as additional information that can be useful in the new program development process.
- ASCLS Store: The ASCLS Store has a variety of educational products available for purchase, including Peer Observation & Evaluation opportunities, Image Atlases and Student Bowl Games.
- BOC: The Board of Certification (BOC) is an administratively independent certification agency that prepares relevant standards and develops procedures that will assure the competence of medical laboratory personnel. The BOC certifies those individuals who meet the academic and clinical prerequisites and who achieve acceptable performance levels on examinations.
- NAACLS: The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) is an international agency for accreditation and approval of education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences and related health care professions.