“Participant” in this policy refers to anyone present at the Joint Annual Meeting, including staff, contractors, vendors, exhibitors, sponsors, venue staff, members, and all attendees. This policy includes all events, including ancillary events, official and unofficial social gatherings, and interactions online and on social media. Event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations. All participants must abide by the following policy:
- Be considerate of those around you.
- Be respectful of others and viewpoints that may be different from your own.
- Be mindful of your words and actions.
- Act in a way that keeps you, and those around you, safe and healthy
Unacceptable behaviors may include, but are not limited to:
- Failure to comply with policies from ASCLS designed to maintain health and the wellbeing of all participants.
- Visual harassment, such as sexual images or sexual language, including presentations and slide decks.
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions by any participant, including online communications, carried out in the context of an ASCLS event or auxiliary events.
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or any other personal characteristic;
- Inappropriate or gratuitous use of nudity, sexual images, or stereotyped images in public spaces (including presentation slides).
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following a person online.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact in person or online, including unwelcome touching or groping.
- Real or implied threat of physical harm or of professional or financial damage or harm.
- Any other illegal activity not already covered above.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated and could result in debarment from current, and/or any future ASCLS, AGT or SAFMLS sponsored event. If a participant is found to be engaging in unacceptable behavior, The Joint Annual Meeting planners reserve the right to take any and all actions it solely deems appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without warning or refund. If appropriate, local law enforcement may be engaged.
Anyone subject to witness to someone else being subjected to behavior that violates this Code of Conduct may report their concerns to any member of the Joint Annual Meeting Staff or elected Officer. All complaints will be treated seriously and responded to promptly. All reports are kept confidential to the extent possible. Staff and Officers will take steps to assist the targets and witnesses of Code of Conduct violations to feel safe for the duration of the event. These may include providing an escort, finding accommodation at a different hotel, or changing travel plans. Staff will NOT contact venue security or local law enforcement unless requested to do so by the target of the Code of Conduct violation or if the conduct is illegal per se.
Additional Policies Related to Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
The Joint Annual Meeting organizers and partners are committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for conference attendees, utilizing best practices and guidance provided by the CDC and local health officials. In-person attendees will be required to adhere to posted policies related to preventing the spread of COVID-19 which may include wearing masks, practicing proper hand hygiene, and maintaining social distance.
Meeting organizers and partners will continue to closely monitor the regulations and recommendations related to hosting gatherings This includes reducing or eliminating lines, spacing seating to recommended distances, and ensuring that attendees have the access to adequate hygiene and PPE supplies. The final conference guidelines and requirements will be communicated to all registrants by the beginning of June.
In-person conference registrants will have the option to convert to a virtual registration at any time.