ASCLS and the Association of Genetic Technologists (AGT) held a very successful 2019 Joint Annual Meeting in Charlotte, June 23-27. We hosted 685 registered attendees, which is the highest ASCLS Annual Meeting attendance in more than a decade. In addition, we had 41 industry partners, 70 educational sessions, and 36 poster presentations. The Silent Auction held during the Presidents' Reception, raised $6,500 for scholarships and grants. The HOPE Project assembled 96 classroom kits and raised $1,250 for Charlotte's Classroom Central. And the ASCLS PAC raised more than $6,300.
It was the first time ASCLS and AGT partnered to hold our meetings jointly, which resulted in expanded educational and industry opportunities for both organizations. Attendees were energized and inspired by the superior educational sessions and the connections they made with fellow laboratorians and long-time friends.
- "I enjoyed being combined with AGT this year. I met some members from this group and it was interesting talking to them about the genetic side."
- "Speakers were all fantastic ... by far my favorite professional meeting."
- "I loved the vendors being present all of the time and easy availability."
- "Meeting up with old friends reignited the fire for me to want to make a difference at my hospital despite the resistance."
- "[T]his conference is a place where dreams are realized. ... One day I hope to stand on a big stage in a session at an annual meeting and talk about how much ASCLS has advanced since my first attendance in 2019, speaking on how much we have grown the organization, what I’ve done to promote the profession and how my DCLS is being applied every day."
- "Being a part of ASCLS has connected me with countless professionals, all of whom have taught me so much about becoming an ascending professional, as well as introducing me to some fellow MLS students that are just as passionate as I am about this field."
We've already begun plans for the 2020 Joint Annual Meeting, which will be held at the Omni Louisville Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, June 28-July 2, 2020.